Saturday, April 18, 2009

Back to Work


The morning sees me doggedly determined to make amends for yesterday's slothful ways. I keep telling myself I will never see that small but committed publishing company if I spend every sunny afternoon with a book propped on my lap...but even I'm not too confident I am listening to myself.

So, while the spirit is willing, here I sit, surrounded by no less than ten reference books, a note pad, three pens, my laptop, and the necessary quiet of the library (with its fewer distractions), trying not to wonder how Ondrelique is faring in math and French , if Dauriauna has taken her vitamins, or if Torrese is remembering to relax (for a change) and not take life too seriously. I remind myself that the children will be fine, just as they were yesterday and the day before, whether I worry over them or not. The apartment can be cleaned this afternoon as easily as this morning. My financial concerns will still, tomorrow, be waiting. My crazy brother will be no less insane in a few hours.

In short, the other aspects of my daily existence (needs, concerns, tasks, and objectives) will not sprout wings and take on Chanctetinyea-devouring life in the time it takes me to get this work done.

So, it's up to me to now stop analyzing it all...and just do it.

I am in earnest--I will not equivocate--I will not excuse--I will not retreat a single inch--and I will be heard! --Wiliam Lloyd Garrison,
U.S. Abolitionist,
(1805-1979)

No comments:

Post a Comment